Cranberry Chutney Chai Goat’s Milk

This is my 3rd time making Chai Tea soap for the holidays.

The photo on the left is the soap in 2013, using a silicone brownie pan. The photo on the right is the 2014 version, using a square soaping pan:

IMG_5703 IMG_4146

In 2014 I got the bottom layers/colors reversed, producing less contrast with the top colors, but I like the crisp, clean dark look on the bottom and I attempted to do the same for 2015.

This time I used a 9-bar horizontal mold with dividers. I knew using the dividers would alter the appearance a bit, and the bars would be slimmer, taller & fatter.

I also revised the scent: instead of a straight Chai Tea I did a 3:4 mix of Cranberry Chutney and Chia tea.

I used 40 oz of my Master batched oils (See Sept 27th blog) and 12 oz of frozen Goat’s Milk.

Here was the plan:
17 oz brown – bottom layer with 2 oz Chai tea FO
17 oz BB Yellow Oxide & CC Yellow Locking Mica – middle layer with 1.5 oz Cranberry chutney
8 oz TD white – top layer (no FO)
7 oz TKB #30 True red – top layer (no FO)
7 oz BB Hydrated Chrome green/teal & BB Chrome Oxide, for a Christmas green – top layer (no FO)

IMG_2511

Colors: BB Yellow oxide & CC Yellow Locking mica, CC Brown Sparkle mica, TKB #30 True Red, BB Hydrated chrome green & BB Green Chrome oxide, TD.

In the bottom layer of my 9-bar mold I poured 17 oz of brown with the Chai Tea Cybilla, which discolors dark brown; followed by 17 oz of yellow with Cranberry Chutney, which discolors yellow/beige.

For the top layer I poured stripes of white, red, & green, adding a little Vanilla Stabilizer to help prevent discolor bleed from the FO’s. A more precise way to do this would have been to use squirt bottles to make stripes….but I really hate the cleaning!

With all the soap poured, I did a zig-zag diagonally with a chop stick, then swirled loops; added the dividers, and put it to bed in the freezer for a day, then the fridge for another day before un-molding.

IMG_2513

There is a whirly line down two parts of my mold and thought of swirling those out, but I liked them, so I left it that way.

IMG_2519

With the dividers in, it made each bar more interesting and uniquely different.

After un-molding, the sides that did not have dividers on them looked like this. The photo on the left is taken just after un-molding. The photo on the right is the same bar, 1 week later. (I steamed the one on the right, which brighten up the colors too.)

IMG_2748

IMG_2928

IMG_2930

This is the other side of the same bar, where the dividers were inserted, which caused the colors to be pulled down on top of the other layers.

IMG_2935

The whole batch, 1 week after un-molding, trimming, & steaming.

Each bar turned out uniquely different:

IMG_2942

IMG_2950

IMG_2964

I did not take good notes in 2014, but I may have used more of a white base layer, with the red & green swirled on top, where in this batch I used equal amounts of red, green, & white. I like the whiter base of 2014, but I love the more intricate swirls of this new batch.

I’m still unsure of which sides I like better: the crisp, clean lines of different layers or the top colors & design pulled over the sides.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s