I few days of spring time weather really got my juices flowing. I just wanted to soap & soap & soap!! Sadly reality got in the way of most of my soaping ideas, but I did manage to make another batch of Pink Himalayan Salt Bars – I’ll call them POGY: Pineapple Orange Grapefruit and Yuzu.
I think I’ve just been getting really lucky lately – this batch, just as the last one (see Feb 18, 2016 Blog) took forever to set up. BUT I AM NOT COMPLAINING!! I just stick blended them a little more and patiently waited till they were ready to pour.
I used almost same recipe as before, but with a 1.5 oz water discount to off set the water in the LabColors:
Recipe: (50 oz oils; 74oz/ 4.6 lbs – plus salt)
10% Apricot Kernel Oil 5 oz 142 grams
2.5% Castor Oil 2.5 oz 71 grams
70% Coconut Oil 35 oz 992 grams
10% Palm Oil 5 oz 142 grams
2.5% Refined Shea Butter 2.5 oz 71 grams
10% SF Lye 7.47 oz 212 grams
1.5oz disc Water & Aloe 2:1 15 oz 425 grams
PH Salt for brine 1.2 oz 34 grams
Oat Extract .5 oz 14 grams (IN OILS)
Fine Pink Himalayan Salt 20 oz – by volume (about 27 oz by weight)
I did a couple different things this time:
I used the flower negative impression mat in both my 9-bar and 6 bar molds.
I tried the Sole Seife technique – Brine soap from the Soap Queen Blog on Feb 11, 2016; using the recommended lye & salt combo of 58% of the water. I first made sure all the lye was dissolved before adding the 1.2 oz of salt – but it still didn’t all dissolve.
I poured off 2 oz of batter and added a test sent to see what this soap will be like, but I think the minuscule amount of salt in the soap will make little to no difference in the feel. I suspect it will make a harder bar, but that’s what I use sodium lactate for. (Skip the Brine – I don’t see any point to it other than if you want to call your soap Sole Seife or Brine Soap.)
I split the batter into 4 containers of about 17 oz each and added colors and scents:
BB Lemon Yellow LabColor with 1 oz BB Pineapple Cilantro
BB Orange LabColor with .5 oz BB 10X Orange eo & .75 oz BB Orange Valencia eo
BB Tulip LabColor with 1.5 oz NG Ruby Red Grapefruit
BB Apple Green LabColor with 1.5 oz BB Yuzu
I stick blended them a bit longer and then mixed in 5 oz (by volume; about 6.7 oz by weight) of Pink Himalayan salt into each container.
6-7 hours later I removed the soap from the 9-bar mold:
The colors will fade a bit, due to the salt and LabColors.
I purposely used less green on the impression mat of the 9-bar mold, as I wanted the other colors to stand out more. (For the 6-bar mold I did the opposite.)
I love how the colors are so vibrant and smooth – on what was going to be the bottom, but looks nice enough for the top. I must have forgotten to stir the containers on my last pour, so that the colors are not muted by the salt. The Tulip color has turned to a lovely deep pink.
18 hours after soaping, I un-molded and cut the soap from the 6-bar mold. It was still a little soft, and the edges did tear a bit.
Out of the mold with the impression mat still on (left) and pealed off (right):
The colors and design remind me of Sherbet ice-cream and Autumn foliage. And the scent is amazing!
10 days later the colors on the impression mat side have softened and lightened to a more pastel look, while the bottom colors have morphed but are still bright:
The ones with more green are from the 6-bar mold and the ones with more pink are from the 9-bar mold.
I like using impression mats on the salt soap and shampoo bars. There is usually not enough time to do a complicated design, so this assures a nice looking side. (Especially with the shampoo bars that set up really quickly.)