Okay, I need to come up with a better name for this soap!
I had about 13 oz of the spin swirl soap slab from the rimmed soap challenge (see previous blog – March 19, 2016 Rimmed Soaps), plus another 9 oz of bits that were cut off and discarded, so I chopped up the bits and decide to use the slab for the top of this soap:
It was about 3/8 inch thick and I just plopped it back into the 9-bar mold (spritzing with alcohol before adding more soap on top).
I made up a small batch of soap (using 25 oz of oils from Master batch oils #2). I was trying to think of what scent would go with these colors and I realized that I had 2 oz of BB Honey & Leather FO that would work perfectly.
Here’s the description of the Honey & Leather: This warm and comforting scent is an intriguing blend featuring top notes of juicy nectarine and bergamot, enhanced by a heart of manuka honey, orchid and jasmine; followed by a trail of leather and cedarwood.
It sounds wonderful, but oob it smelled awful and I didn’t get any of those scents. The reviews said it was really nice, so I just hoped they were right.
Since this was going to be a 3+ lb batch, I boosted the honey & bergamot with 1/2 oz of each – trying to bring out the top & middle notes. In hindsight, adding a little more cedarwood might have also worked well, as it still smelled bad.
I added the scent combo directly into my oils, as performance in CP was said to have “mild” acceleration and I wanted it at medium trace to hold all my soap chunks.
I also added TD for a nice white color. The batter accelerated really fast to medium-heavy trace and stopped – which made it good consistency…but as it was happening, I had no idea if/when it would stop moving.
Fortunately, as this soap has been curing, it is smelling nicer & nicer – but still very top heavy with the leather scent. It’s surprising that the leather continues to be so prevalent – as it was a bottom note. The top notes have yet to come to the forefront.
This is a very masculine scent. I think if I used it again, I would only add 1/2 to 2/3 of the recommended amount for strong – that may tame the overpowering leather and help bring out the other notes. And it’s not yet 2 weeks into the cure, so I think the fragrance will continue to change.
With a little leftover batter from when I created the top soap, I made a couple unscented soaps – I think I like the bottoms better than the tops:
(Tops & bottoms – top sprinkled with gold mica and snowflake sparkle mica)