Grapefruit Bellini Confetti Soap

I had some leftover bits of soap (from the Rimmed Soap Challenge, March 19, 2016 blog) and lots of additional soap scraps from trimming my bars, so I decided it would be fun to make a simple Confetti soap.

IMG_6531

I just got some wonderful FO: Grapefruit Bellini, from Bramble Berry. It smells divine. Here is the description: This sparkling, fruity fragrance is a bright, happy scent. Top notes of Pineapple, Jasmine and Grapefruit are enlivened by Peach Nectar and Mango then finished off with Rhubarb and Sugared Musk.

I had about 10 oz of confetti and used 43 oz of soap batter (using master batch oils #2; see Jan 9, 2016 blog – Amber Frankincense & Myrrh for recipe). This did give me some leftover soap batter that I planned to use to test some new scents.

For this batch, I used 1/3 of one brand of lye that I’ve been having some weird results with (see previous April 1 blog) and 2/3 of another brand that is newer and works perfectly. I hate to throw things out (I have 3 lbs left of the weird stuff) and since this was a very straight forward technique, I thought I would try a mix of the two lye brands.

The batter really accelerated and got thick, but it’s possible that it could have been the FO – although in all the reviews no one has had this problem. (The old lye on it’s own has been accelerating trace, then reversing trace – but there was no reversing in this batch.)

My lye-water reached 195-200 degrees, which is in a very acceptable range. (I usually get 200-210 degrees.)

I split my batter in half, coloring one half with BB Fizzy Lemonade Yellow and the other with BB Ultramarine Pink – a pink that I have had for ages, but haven’t used much. The pink got very dark and more purple than I had wanted (even though I really love purple), so I added some TD and leftover Electric Bubblegum pink to try to lighten it up a bit.

I have read some complains about the Ultramarine Pink clumping, even when using oil and blending with a mini-mixer. I preheated my oil and had no issues. (I’m so glad I read about this technique a couple months ago, as it works great.)

I added all the soap scraps from the rimmed soap (yellow, orange, pink, & green) to the yellow batter and used pastels with lots of pinks & purples in the pink batter. I then tried to hanger swirl the two sides, but the soap was way too thick for that.

I tried swirling the top, but the confetti seemed to get in the way too.

IMG_6143

Top swirled, but you can see how thick the soap is, with confetti poking out

In hindsight I should have mixed all the scraps together first, as the yellow ended up with more of an orange hue of confetti, while the pink had more of a purple hue of confetti – so each side looks very different.

This soap smells amazing! I think it’s my new favorite scent. I used 3 oz in 3.5 lbs of soap and I want to use even more in the next batch. (Or maybe boost with some straight grapefruit or other note in the blend.)

 

 An Aside:

With the extra soap batter that I had, I tested some new BB scents: (clockwise) Papaya Coconut, Coconut Cybilla, and Butter Mints:

They all smell wonderful, especially the Papaya Coconut & Butter Mints.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s