Eucalyptus Mint Invigorating Shampoo Bar in Pipe Divider Swirl

IMG_9497

I am always looking for new techniques with my shampoo bars, as the batter is difficult to work with: in contains 20% Castor oil, which produces a great lather, but causes acceleration and limits the workable designs. So far, my favorite way to do this has been the rimmed soap technique (March 19, 2016 Blog). But that is a 2 day process, and takes way too much time. (Although I hope to do it again sometime.)

I really enjoyed the Pipe Divider Swirl in the July Soap challenge (July 11, 2016 Blog) and wanted to try it again. I knew I would be taking a huge risk, but I still wanted to give it a go. I would have loved to do 6 colors, but I knew I was stretching the envelope with four. I did give the nested pipes a try (pipe inside a pipe).

The Plan:

Shampoo Master Batch Oils #1: Total 73 oz /4.5lb soap:
(August 1, 2016 Blog recipe)
Oils: 50 oz /1417 grams
4% Lye: 7.08 oz / 201 grams
Distilled Water (no discount): 16.5 oz / 468 grams
Sodium Lactate: 14 grams(add to lye water)
DL-Panthenol: 42 grams (add to lye water)

Batter/ Colors/ Scent:
Scent Blend – Eucalyptus Mint: 3.2 oz FO
1.6 oz BA Eucalyptus EO
1.6 oz BB Moroccan Mint FO

Batter in 4 containers:
Outside Pipes 66% of batter:
24 oz of BB Apple Green LabColor
24 oz of BB Eucalyptus LabColor & TKB Coral Blue (blue green)

Inside Pipes 34% of batter:
12 oz of TKB #30 True Red color
12 oz of TD White

Leftover batter in Oval Molds.

I would have used Peppermint EO, but I am almost out of it and I wanted to try the Moroccan Mint FO, as it is half the price.

I arranged my pipes and “glued” them down with a mix of Melted Cocoa & Shore butter, placed in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden, removed and let the mold get close to room temperature while I prepared my scent, colors, and batter.

IMG_9179

Pipes “glued” in 9- bar mold

I did not stick blend, but stirred the lye water into the oils and it thickened up on it’s own. I found the whole process of filling the pipes and alternating the colors into the base to take way too long and the batter stiffened up quite a bit – it was still pourable in the end, but gloppy & ricing. I wasn’t able to do much swirling.

Clockwise: After swirling; dividers in; bottom & top of loaf after gelling:

I added a couple drops of white & red batter after putting in the dividers so the colors on each bars would look more balanced. I like how it looks a bit “Christmasy.” All of them turned out a bit lumpy looking on top (which you can see in some of the photos).

I had enough batter leftover to make 3 Oval molds with the outside colors. I realized that I had marked my measuring cups at 10 oz instead of 12 oz for the white & red. That gave me enough batter for the 9-bar mold, but not for leftovers in the oval molds. (Also there was so much batter caught in the pipes, that I had 8 oz of leftovers from it for a couple smaller bars).

 

The Cut:

IMG_9562

After planing off most of the tops

 

IMG_9426

My two favorite bars

IMG_9525

Ovals with leftover soap

IMG_9422

I like the way the bottoms look too

 

Conclusions:

I would like to do this technique again, with much more fluid batter and more colors. I don’t think it is ideal for Shampoo bars, unless maybe I simplify the procedure with less pipes & colors. (Also, instead of pouring all the Lye-water in at once, I will try slowly pouring it in while mixing. This may slow down the saponification and help prevent so much lumpiness.)

A better method for shampoo bars would be a simpler approach (Jan 2, 2016 Blog – Negative Impression Mat.) But I wanted to give it a try with this technique and it turned out okay, considering the limitations I was dealing with.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s