Gold, Frankincense, & Myrrh in Drop & Hanger Swirls

img_0464

Gold (Amber), Frankincense & Myrrh

 

I like the way this turned out when I made it last time (Jan 9, 2016 Blog):

IMG_4905

 

The plan was to try to recreate this soap, which of course is impossible. It came out quite different, but I like the richer looking black color and the mica swirls on top:

img_0574

According to my inventory, I had almost enough for a 1:1 blend of BB Frankincense & Myrrh Cybilla and BB Amber. The .2 oz I was shy of the F&M would be made up with a straight Frankincense from Essential Depot.

Here’s the description of the scents:

  • BB Amber: A base note that is used in perfumery because it adds a sophisticated, warm base to fragrance blends. This blend also contains notes of Vanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood and Musk. 3.2% Vanilla. A & D.
  • BB Frankincense and Myrrh Cybilla: Warm and sensual; it cures to a wonderful exotic scent when used alone or adds a soft musk and woodsy bottom note when used in blends. Scent lightens in CP as it cures. Discolors brown.
  • ED Frankincense: Woody & Spicy. No discolor.

 

The Plan:

Master batch #5 oils: (38 oz Oils;  54 oz soap) 3 lb silicone mold
Oils: 38 oz/ 1077 grams
Lye 5% SF: 5.37 oz / 152 grams
Distilled Water: (1.54 oz disc): 11 oz / 312 grams (Used 300 grams)
Sodium Lactate: 11 grams

FO’s (turns out I had less F&M than I thought):
1.5 oz Amber
1.0 oz Frankincense & Myrrh Cybilla
.5 oz Frankincense

Batter/Color/Scent:
20 oz – BB Activated Charcoal Black –  1 oz FM; 1 oz Amber
8 oz – BB Cappuccino Mica Brown –  .5 oz F; .5 oz Amber
8 oz – TKB #10 Lake Yellow – no fo
8 oz – TKB #30 True Red – no fo
8 oz – BB Nuclear Orange – no fo

Pour black then:
Drop swirl brown, yellow, red, orange; do horizontal then vertical hanger swirls; top with Gold, Merlot, and Copper mica oils.

img_0041

Colored batter all ready to pour.

I stick blended to emulsified, separating and coloring my batter. Then I just waited – stirring every other minute – until my soap was close to the thickness I wanted (10 + minutes). I thought, why not add some Vanilla Stabilizer to my colors to help prevent bleeding of black & brown? So I did, and interestingly, it really thicken up the orange & red a lot. So I quickly added my scents to the black and brown, watching intently for acceleration. But it never happened!

I would have preferred the black to be a bit thicker, but the red was really stiff by now, so I went ahead and poured in all the black, then alternated the colors several times in a drop swirl; then hanger swirled horizontally and vertically.

 

The Top:

img_0053

Gold, Merlot, and Copper sparkle mica oils swirled on top.

img_0056

Close up.

 

The Cut:

img_0460

img_0477

I love that when two bars are put together with mirrored images you can see multiple images. In the one below, I can see three different faces:

img_0512

It’s like a Rorschach (ink blot) test.

img_0502

Sometimes the yellow looks very lime-green, other times it is more of a true yellow. This is the first time using this color where it morphed, even though I did not put any FO in it. (Makes me wonder if the splash of Vanilla Stabilizer had an effect.)

img_0500

img_0507

Even separately, each bar has character:

At first I was a bit disappointed that the soap was so different than my last batch, but now I am very pleased with how bright and unique these turned out.

Leftovers:
I made one unscented bar with leftovers of yellow, orange, & gold in Eye of Horus mold (you can pick out some of the fine writing/hieroglyphics on the bar that transferred from the mold):

img_0451

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s