Sea Clay Avocado Facial Bars with Easter Island Head embeds

IMG_1393

Sea Clay Facial Bars with face embed

 

The Plan
Make 62 oz of soap, pour off 14 oz for special projects.
Use 9-bar mold, 48 oz batter + 6 oz Easter Island Heads (9 heads, .7 oz per head) = 54 oz
First half of Peacock swirl, then Head embeds on top.

Essential Oil Blend: (2 oz/ 58 grams)
29%    17 grams Lime FO
21%    12 grams Pink Grapefruit FO
21%    12 grams Lavender EO
17%    10 grams Sweet Basil EO (or White Thyme)
12%    7 grams Litsea Cubeba EO

Master batch #7 oils: 44 oz Oils (Makes 62 oz soap)
MB Oils: 44 oz/ 1247 grams
NaOH/ Lye 8% SF: 6.07 oz / 172 grams
Distilled Water & Aloe Juice: (2.52 oz, 17.35% disc): 12 oz / 340 grams
Sodium Lactate: 12 grams
1% Avocado Extract: 12 grams
1% Carrot Extract: 12 grams
1% Buckthorn Extract: 12 grams

Batter/Colors – use sparingly/ EO Blend 2 oz
12 oz French Green Sea Clay in water
12 oz Yellow Brazilian Clay in water
12 oz Red Moroccan Clay in water
12 oz Indigo Powder in oil

 

The Reality:
I soaped with Lye and oils at 116 and 114 respectively, stick blending to emulsified, poured off 14 oz for special projects, then stick blended the rest to a very light trace.

The batter was divided into four containers of 12+ oz each; clays and Indigo powder were added and hand mixed, then the Essential Oil blend added to the containers (eyeballing about 1/4 for each.)

I had laid down a Diamond Impression mat on the bottom and roughly alternated each color into the diamonds. The batter thicken immediately after adding clay, so it was a bit thick for too much detail. After filling the bottom, I switched to pouring lines of color alternating until the top few layers, where I tried to pour as thin of lines as possible.

When my mold with soap weighed what I had calculated, I used the #1 swirl tool comb (found here at Bramble Berry) and made one pass, then added the dividers:

IMG_3350

I then spritzed the Easter Island Heads (made with CP batter at an earlier date) and carefully place them on each bar:

IMG_3351

 

The Un-molding:

IMG_1399

IMG_1392

IMG_1404

I had just enough leftovers for one guest size Victorian Heart bar, which will be great for travel:

The mat used on the back side did not work well. I waited 5 days before pealing it off, but the soap was still so sticky that a lot of the design was lost. I don’t know if more patience would have helped with this, as it just didn’t seem to be drying:

IMG_1400

 

Conclusions:
I am really happy how this facial soap – with faces – turned out. They do feel delicate to handle, as I am careful to not smash any noses, which may also prove to be an issue for packaging and transport.

I am glad that I thoroughly schooled myself to not add lots of clay for color, as I really like the delicate light hues produced – the brightest colors are on the bottom & sides of each bar.

I do like what design was produced on the bottom with the diamond mat, but next time I will need to either wait forever before removing it or choose a better impression mat (as this one is a thin plastic that makes it difficult to produce good detail.)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s