Margarita in coconut milk with Layers, In The Pot swirl, Lime embeds, and PH Salt sprinkled on top

IMG_1568

Description of Natures Garden Margarita FO: A fresh lime fragrance with hints of lemon rinds and fresh greenery. This fragrance oil has high levels of essential oil of lime for a true-to-name aroma. CP: No R, A, D. Reviews: slight yellowing; very limey with a touch of salt; dead on margarita, lime-lemon scent.

I was originally going to make this with BB Coconut Cream FO, but in a test soap with a 1:1 FO ratio (3.5 ml of each in a 4 oz bar), the Coconut was no where to be seen and the Margarita was very light. I’m hoping with a straight Margarita, the scent will be strong, as it is oob.

 

The Plan:
3 oz Margarita FO
3 lb mold; 48 oz batter plus 6 oz embed tops (4 oz lime tarts and 2 oz lime wedges).
Dark green layer on bottom with silver mica line.
Thin light green layer with silver mica line.
Then white & light green In The Pot swirl.
Top with 1/3 of each color and swirl.
Add embeds: 1 round lime tart embed on top (on edge) on one side and 1 lime wedge (on edge) on other side.
Pink Himalayan Salt (coated with silver mica) sprinkled in the middle.
Put in Freezer to prevent overheating of Coconut milk.

Master batch #7 oils: 34 oz Oils (makes 48 oz soap)
MB Oils: 34 oz/ 964 grams
NaOH/ Lye 5% SF: 4.85 oz / 137 grams
Frozen Coconut Milk: (2.22 oz disc; 20% disc): 9 oz / 255 grams
Kaolin Clay (1%): 10 grams (add to oils)
Green Tea Extract (1%): 10 grams (add to oils – can add at trace)
Buckthorn Extract (1%): 10 grams (add to oils – can add at trace)
Sodium Lactate (1%): 10 grams (add to Lye water at <130 degrees)

Batter/Color/FO 3 oz:
12 oz BB Green Chrome Oxide (Dark Green)
12 oz CC Granny Smith Green mica  & BB Kermit Green (1/4 for layer)
24 oz TD White

 

The Reality:
I added the NaOH to the frozen coconut milk and it never got above 90 degrees. At 88 degrees, I strained the Lye liquid into 94 degree oils and stick blended to almost thin trace, dividing up the batter into my 3 containers.

I almost added the FO into the full batch before dividing, but having never worked with this fragrance, I thought it best to play it safe and add it as I went. (In hind sight, adding all the FO to the batter would have been okay.)

I first mixed up the dark green for the bottom layer and added 1/4 of the FO – it seemed to reverse trace and I had to stick blend for quite a while – even on high (which I never use) before it got thick enough to pour and hold another layer on top.

I spritzed this layer with silver mica using a powder spray bottle (purchased at Qosmedix here). I like this applicator in that I can easily direct the spray, getting it where I want it to go, without excess mess everywhere.

I continued on to the next 2 batters. I had the same issue with stick blending the light green and white. Poured about 1/4 to 1/3 of the light green batter, spritzed with silver mica, then poured the rest into the white for an In The Pot swirl.

I didn’t feel like I really had much of a color contrast with the ITP, pouring a lot of white batter on top. I had very little of the green batters left to make rows of color on top, then swirled.

Top before adding embeds:

IMG_3600

I really liked this look, but since I had planned the embeds and the soap would be a little small without them, I added them and the salt in between the lines where each slice will be cut:

IMG_3607

Embeds placed in between cutting marks on mold

Even though the Pink Himalayan salt was dusted with silver mica, the pink still shows through:

IMG_3611

After 2 hours of gelling, I realized that I had been working with milk and forgot to Not Gel. I quickly put the loaf in the freezer, but after 20 minutes, took it out, as I didn’t want to get a gel ring in the middle. I wrapped it up again in towels, but did not put any heat on, (hoping it wouldn’t over heat and crack), and checked on it every hour – it stayed warm for quite a while but no cracking.

 

The Cut:

IMG_1549

IMG_1569

The silver mica did not show up in the layers. I had trouble getting a heavy line down, using a powder spray bottle to “spritz” on the mica, (from Qosmedix).  I should have switch to a tea strainer. I think the silver line would have tied in the silver mica PH salt on top.

IMG_1554

 

Conclusions:
As much as I liked the swirl on top of this soap, I think the embeds really added something to the look of it. (Next time it might be nice to place the lime wedge on it’s side.) I like the  composition, with the layers on the bottom and the subtle green in the white. I would like to do this design again, with slightly more green in the white.

I also like the sprinkle of salt on each bar, but would have preferred a course white salt dusted in silver mica, as the pink of the Himalayan salt seems to shine through and doesn’t connect with anything else in the soap.

The scent is nice, but after curing it’s extremely light. I would use 4-4.5 oz for a 3 lb batch next time or boost it with BB Lime FO (3:1). Surprisingly, I think I like the WSP Island Margarita Lime FO better (and I usually don’t care for any of their scents), but I did boost it with BB Lime FO too, which might have made all the difference. (You can see the previous Margarita Lime Blog here),

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s