Smokey Bay Leaf soap in tiger and hanger swirls

Description of Bramble Berry Fragrances:
Tobacco & Bay Leaf (TB): A rich & complex scent with top notes of bay leaf and fir needle, mingled with cedarwood and bergamot – warm, woodsy, & sophisticated. The fragrance has a fresh, clean aroma with well-balanced natural notes. CP: No A, Discolors to beige.
Vetyver (V): Has top notes of Lemon & Rosemary. The middle notes contain florals, Sandalwood and Patchouli and finally, the luscious blend finishes off with musk and vetyver. CP: water white.
Black Tea (BT): Tea leaves with tobacco overtones; top notes of Bergamot, Sicilian Lemon, & orange; jasmine, cedar wood, amber, musk. CP: No D

The Plan:


3 lb silicone mold – 52 oz batter
Pour off extra soap for Sunshine Orange Yuzu Sunflower soaps (see that blog here)

Master batch Oils #20: 60 oz Oils (Makes 84 oz /5.25 lbs soap)
MB Oils: 60 oz/ 1701 grams
NaOH/ Lye 5% SF: 8.46 oz / 240 grams
Distilled Water: (3.93 oz disc/ 21% disc): 15 oz / 424 grams
Sodium Lactate (1%): 17 grams (in oils or Lye water at 130 degrees)
Kaolin Clay (1%): 17 grams (in oils)
Aloe Extract (1%): 17 grams (in oils – can add at trace)
Cucumber Extract (1%): 17 grams (in oils – can add at trace)

Scent Blend: 3 oz total: 2 oz TB, 0.5 oz V, 0.5 oz BT

52 oz Batter/Colors/ 3 oz Blend:
26 oz TD White
26 oz MM Mint Green
(MM = Micas & More; TD = Titanium Dioxide)
Alternate pouring white & green into mold in tiger stripe pour (in center of mold).
Hanger swirl vertically.

The Reality:


I combined the lye liquid and oils at 84F & 92F, stick blending very briefly (using an immersion blender). Then divided up the batter for 2 soap projects (see blog here for other soap).

It had been a while since I did a tiger pour, so I wasn’t exactly sure about the thickness of my batter. I alternated lines of colored soap down the middle of the loaf until full. (It seemed like the perfect pour, but I also noticed how much the white & green merged while pouring.) I then did a vertical hanger swirl (alternating up & down 5 times), using my thick hanger (which is a gear tie).

I finished with lines of color on top and swirled width-wise with a toothpick, then zig-zagged length-wise, to get some very fine lines. Since this is a masculine scent, I restrained myself from adding some glitter on top. After spritzing several times with Isopropyl Alcohol, I put some plastic wrap on top and covered with towels to help promote gel.

The Cut:

If you look below at the soap on the left, you can see even more clearly how the edges turned pink.

Conclusions:


The making of this soap flowed smoothly and turned out beautifully.

This fragrance can do strange things with the colors. The first time I made it, it turned purple, then slowly morphed almost back to the original color. The last time I made it (see here), I used a light green that turned grey and stayed that way – very disappointing.

I made a sample soap a few months ago with these same colors and it stayed white & green, with no morphing. This time it came out slightly lighter than I had planned. And a strange thing happened when I cut it – all the edges inside were discolored – the green, a darker green, and the white turned into pink and sadly has stayed that way. But the scent is wonderful.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s