Woodland Elves soap in drop and vertical swirl with gold stars on top


For a few years now I had made this design with a MP tree embed and a gold star on top, but due to time constrains this year, I had to come up with a new design. I did include the gold star and gave every bar three of them.

Description of Bramble Berry Woodland Elves: This fragrance officially welcomes you to the holiday season! It’s the perfect combination of Christmas trees and Christmas spices including Siberian Fir, White Pine, Clove Buds and Mistletoe Berries. The pine and spice is tamed down by Pink Grapefruit, Frosted Lily and ripe Pineapple. Woodsy & spicy. CP: No Discolor; Sometimes A, sometimes no A. Strong – use 1/3 of normal amount.

The Plan:


3 lb mold, 50 oz batter & MP/CP gold star embeds on top (27 total, 4 oz)
Use 1 oz FO
Pour off 34 oz extra batter for snowflake soaps and holiday embeds.

Master batch Oils #19: 60 oz Oils (Makes 84 oz /5.25 lbs soap)
MB Oils: 60 oz/ 1701 grams
NaOH/ Lye 5% SF: 8.46 oz / 240 grams
Distilled Water: (3.93 oz disc/ 21% disc): 15 oz / 424 grams
Sodium Lactate (1%): 17 grams (in oils or Lye water at 130 degrees)
Cucumber Extract (1%): 17 grams (in oils – can add at trace)
Mallow Extract (1%): 17 grams (in oils – can add at trace)

50 oz Batter/Color/1.05 oz FO:
First layer:
8 oz MM Hunter Green, 0.15 oz fo
2nd Layer:
5 oz MM Mint Green, 0.15 oz fo
3rd Layer:
30 oz TD White, 0.55 oz fo
3.5 oz MM Hunter Green, 0.1 oz fo
3.5 oz MM Mint Green, 0.1 oz fo
Layer of Dark Green on bottom, Layer of Light Green; Pour all of white into mold and drop swirl both greens, then vertical ONLY hanger swirl (from bottom to top if possible – 3 times)
Swirl top with gold mica oil on the sides. Add 3 MP & CP gold stars on top (4 oz)
Put in refrigerator to prevent MP embeds from melting.
(MM = Micas & More; TD = Titanium Dioxide)

The Reality:


I soaped the lye & oils at 82F & 88F, stick blending until emulsified (using an immersion blender) and divided out the batter.

I mixed up the first layer with Hunter Green mica and FO, then stick blended it and poured into the mold – putting it into the refrigerator to help it set quicker (while I colored the other green batters and worked on Holiday embeds).

When the first layer was set, I added FO to the Mint Green, then poured it into the mold over a spatula, to prevent breakthrough, and put back into the refrigerator to set up. I measured the distance between the top of the green layer to the top of the mold and marked that on my hanger swirl tool (gear tie). It was between 1.5 & 1.75 inches.

When the second layer was set, I added TD white to the last container and fragrance oil to all of the jugs, hand mixed, and poured the white over a spatula into the mold, again to prevent breakthrough. I then poured the light green & dark green soap into the white from about 1-1.5 feet above, making 3 passes and two pours each to create a drop swirl. (All of these batters were a bit thick and the greens would not penetrate the white without the help of gravity).

I took the hanger and used it to swirl the colors just poured, moving it through the white vertically – going down the edge of the mold and moving up the mold 3 times, being careful not to put it in the mold below the markings.

I added some lines of colored batter on top and swirled with a thin chopstick; then put drops of gold mica on the sides and swirling through the middle of those to try to create hearts, which wasn’t very successful (not enough mica in the oil). I let it sit for a few minutes to firm up, then added gold stars so that there would be three on each bar when slicing (spritzing each with alcohol first). I had a mix of MP & CP stars. I then spritzed each star with dry gold mica to amp up the sparkle and put the mold in a dedicated soaping refrigerator so that it would not heat up & gel, which would melt the MP (glycerin) stars.

The Cut:

Some of the Holiday Candy Snowflake soaps made:

Conclusions:


I might have stick blended a couple seconds to long – to a medium emulsification, instead of just emulsified, as the soap thickened quicker than normal (the cool temperatures could have caused this too, as the house was only 65F).

I changed up this design from what I had done the last several years. Compared to last year’s soap (see blog here), which way do you like best?

I had made extra batter for Snowflake soaps, but by the time I was done with the main loaf, the rest of the soap was very thick. Mixing in mica colors in oil helped thin it out a bit, but not enough to do a clyde slide pour, so I did layers instead. (In hide site, the tops of the snowflakes were decorated in gold MP soap, so they design would probably not have shown through anyway.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s