Description of Bramble Berry Fragrances:
BB Frankincense & Myrrh Cybilla: Warm and sensual, a wonderful exotic scent. CP: Discolors brown, 2% Vanilla. scent lightens in CP as it cures.
BB Amber FO: A base note that adds a sophisticated structure to fragrance blends. This Amber blend also contains notes of Vanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood and Musk. CP: Discolors brown, 3.2% Vanilla. May Accelerate.
3 lb mold, 48 oz soap + 18 dove embeds (3.3 oz)
2 oz Frankincense & Myrrh (FM), 1 oz Amber (A)
Drop & hanger swirls
Top with 18 gold dove MP embeds (2 on each bar).
Pour off 29 oz extra batter for special projects.
Master batch Oils #19: 55 oz Oils (Makes 77 oz /4.8 lbs soap)
MB Oils: 55 oz/ 1559 grams
NaOH/Lye 5% SF: 7.76 oz / 220 grams
1:1 Frozen Goat Milk & Distilled Water: (2.35 oz disc/ 13.5 % disc): 15 oz / 425 grams
Sodium Lactate (1%): 16 grams (in oils or Lye water at 130 degrees)
Aloe Extract (1%): 16 grams (in oils – can add at trace)
Avocado Extract (1%): 16 grams (in oils – can add at trace)
48 oz Batter/Color/ FO’s: 2 oz (FM), 1 oz (A) 1.75 VS:
19 oz BB Activated Charcoal Black, 0.75 oz FM & 1 oz A
5 oz Natural (will discolor Brown), 0.5 oz FM
6 oz TD White, no FO, 0.5 VS
10 oz TKB #30 True Red, 0.75 oz FM, 0.75 oz VS
8 oz TKB Lemon Yellow; BB Fizzy Lemonade & CC Yellow Locking Mica, no FO, 0.5 VS
Drop swirl colors into Black, then hanger swirl vertically & horizontally.
Top with black & 2 Gold MP Doves on top of each bar (3+ oz)
Put in refrigerator to prevent MP embeds & milks from overheating.
(BB = Bramble Berry; TKB = TKB Trading; TD = Titanium Dioxide; VS = Vanilla Stabilizer)
I strained the lye liquid into the oils in case any frozen bits had not dissolved, and I did find 2 tiny pieces of goat milk. I soaped the lye and oils at 86F & 90F, stick blending until barely emulsified (using an immersion blender) – then hand stirring a little bit to emulsified. (Milks tend to speed up trace, as well as a cool environment, and the house was at 65F.)
I separated out all my batter and colored each. The first thing I made was some embeds and 6 Snowflake soaps, plus a few sample soaps, using the clyde slide swirl.
By then my batter was a tiny bit thicker than I had wanted, but after adding the fragrance oils, it was perfect. I poured all the black and then drop swirled the colors in several times. I then used a gear tie to hanger swirl horizontally 3-4 times and vertically 3-4 times.
I let it set for a few minutes before spritzing embeds with Isopropyl Alcohol and placing them on top. I neglected to save enough black batter to cover the top completely, so there were a few places where the colors peaked out from under the doves.
I put in a dedicated soaping refrigerator for 24 hours to prevent gelling and overheating the milks or melting the glycerin soaps. I then waited an additional day to un-mold and 2 more days before cutting.
This soap came together nicely. I had made a tiny star tube embed, but put so much soap into the mold that there wasn’t room for it. I was unsure whether to include it anyway, as I didn’t was to disturb the design or make it too chaotic looking.
Since I didn’t have a solid color on top (black), I dusted some gold mica on top, which I think helps make it pop.
The Snowflake soaps I made got a little muddied (See Sleigh Ride snowflake soaps here). I used red, green, & white colors, and the red & green merged too much on some of them. Next time I need to have twice as much white to separate them more. (Also, since this was the first thing I did, the batter was a little thin.) When doing two projects with one batch of soap, waiting too long can cause the second venture to get too thick to work with.